After three hours waiting, the category names appeared correctly. I dont know why.
Today, when I use page builder, same results are happening. The changes are save but it isnt appearing on the website and I have tried out the methods you mentioned. I use different browser, different device but the website still appears unchanged. Why is this?
Your browser is not of importance in this case. The problem most likely comes from category caching. All category queries from database are demanding server resources and that is why they are cached. Our Menu Composer tool adds more server load and that is why theme caches queries too. The best practice while you still setup your store is to turn OFF all theme cache.
If you are still having problems with content not appearing immediately, we will need website url and admin access to check your configuration. We will also need to know the exact steps you have done.
We’ve checked the product page you have linked and it seems you have missed to change the design override option with the correct layout. We’ve changed it for you and now content for Dr.CYj shows fine. Here are exact steps to create custom product page: